The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) says it is actively monitoring the situation in Venezuela following reports that US forces have captured President Nicolás Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, during an early morning military operation.
The Conference of Heads of Government of CARICOM met early on January 3 to discuss the developments.
In a statement following the meeting, the regional body said leaders were concerned about the matter.
“CARICOM is actively monitoring the situation which is of grave concern to the Region with possible implications for neighbouring countries,” the statement said. “CARICOM will continue to update the people of the Region as more information is received.”
CARICOM has previously urged that no military action be taken against Venezuela after the US began bombing boats allegedly trafficking drugs last September.
CARICOM condemn the airstrikes and called for the region to remain a zone of peace.
The bombings have reportedly killed at least 90 people, including two individuals believed to be Trinidad and Tobago nationals, Rishi Samaroo and Chad “Charpo” Joseph.
In contrast, Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has been the only regional leader to openly support operations against alleged narco-traffickers.
In a statement, Persad-Bissessar said the illegal drug and gun trade had a significant impact on Trinidad and Tobago.
“The pain and suffering the cartels have inflicted on our nation is immense. I have no sympathy for traffickers; the US military should kill them all violently,” she said.
Persad-Bissessar faced backlash from her regional colleagues.
Former St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves criticised her stance, saying her views were misguided.
The region awoke on January 3 to news of explosions in the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, as an elite US Army unit reportedly carried out the operation against Maduro. US authorities accused him of leading a drug trafficking network.
In a post on Truth Social, President Donald Trump said US operatives had captured and removed Maduro and his wife following a “large-scale strike” against Venezuela and its leader.
“This operation was done in conjunction with US law enforcement,” Trump added.
Venezuelan Vice-President Delcy Rodríguez said the government was seeking confirmation of the president’s status and whereabouts.
“We don’t know the whereabouts of President Nicolás Maduro and the First Lady. We demand immediate proof of life from Trump,” Rodríguez said during an appearance on state media.
The Trump administration has accused Maduro of leading a massive drug trafficking gang.
He currently faces an indictment in the United States for a series of drug-related crimes.
Maduro has denied the allegations.
The US placed a US$50 million bounty on him in 2020 for information leading to his capture.
The January 3 operation is the culmination of years of US efforts against the Maduro regime.

Leave a Reply