A police officer in Montego Bay has been interdicted following a fatal shooting that is now under investigation, according to the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF).

The incident, which occurred in Granville on May 17, resulted in the death of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, also known as Buju.

In a statement, the JCF High Command said it had reviewed preliminary information, including CCTV footage, and ordered the immediate removal of the officer from frontline duties pending the outcome of investigations.

The matter has been referred to the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) and the Inspectorate Professional Standards Oversight Bureau (IPROB), both of which have launched independent probes.

The JCF said it remains committed to accountability, stressing that any conduct by officers that appears to fall outside the law or established standards will be met with decisive action.

At the same time, the force cautioned against broadly characterising the actions of police personnel, noting that most officers carry out their duties lawfully under difficult conditions.

INDECOM confirmed that it has begun its own investigation into the shooting, noting the circulation of CCTV footage capturing aspects of the incident.

The commission said such video evidence has become increasingly important in modern policing oversight, helping investigators assess the actions of both officers and civilians, as well as the proportionality of force used.

However, it stressed that video alone is not sufficient and that a full investigation will include witness statements and other evidence.

INDECOM is appealing to members of the public, particularly individuals who may have been in the vehicle driven by Bulgin or witnessed the incident, to come forward with information or additional footage.

The commission also revealed that none of the three officers reportedly involved in the incident were equipped with body-worn cameras at the time, as they had been assigned to crowd control duties during a protest.

The fatal shooting brings the number of people killed by security forces in May 2026 to 15. So far this year, 130 people have been fatally shot by security forces in Jamaica, compared to 129 during the same period in 2025.

Investigations into the circumstances surrounding Bulgin’s death are ongoing.

Leave a Reply

Designed with WordPress

Discover more from Caribbean Pulse

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading