Trinibad artistes K-Man and Plumpy Boss have ended their longstanding feud following peace talks facilitated by the government.

The two performers reached an agreement on Saturday, August 22, after meeting with Homeland Security Minister Roger Alexander at his Tunapuna constituency office. 

Justice Minister Devesh Maharaj also attended the meeting.

The development comes as both artistes prepare to perform at Summer Stage: The Festival in Trinidad on Saturday night.

K-Man, whose real name is Kashif Sankar, and Plumpy Boss, whose real name is Mescach Emmanuel, have long been associated with rival factions of Trinidad and Tobago’s gang landscape, although both have denied being members of the groups.

Their rivalry has unfolded against a wider backdrop of violence associated with parts of the Trinibad music scene.

Sankar was charged in February 2024 under the Anti-Gang Act with being a member of the Sixx gang and professing to be a gang member. He was granted bail of TT$40,000.

Emmanuel was charged in July 2024 with gang-related offences and granted TT$350,000 bail with a surety.

Both men have also been victims of gun violence.

Emmanuel was seriously wounded in a shooting in July 2024 after performing at a concert in Maho Beach, St Maarten. 

He was leaving the venue in a black minivan with members of his entourage when the attack occurred.

He remained in critical condition in hospital for several weeks before being transferred back to Trinidad.

Sankar survived a separate shooting in December 2023 when gunmen opened fire on a vehicle travelling along the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway. Police believed the attack was targeting Sankar, who had recently returned from performing at a concert in Barbados.

Three of his associates — Damian Kriss, Levi Kriss and Jerry Hollingsworth — were killed in the attack. Businesswoman Lana Sahadeo, who was inside her home, was also struck by a stray bullet and killed.

The alleged gang associations have also affected the artistes’ ability to perform elsewhere in the Caribbean. 

Sankar has previously been barred from performing in several regional countries, including Guyana, St Kitts and Nevis and Grenada.

Recently, Sankar has sought to distance himself from violence and the gang culture often associated with elements of the Trinibad movement.

This resulted in him from “Sixx” from his name.

Speaking after the meeting, Alexander welcomed the agreement and said it formed part of the government’s efforts to encourage dialogue, resolve conflicts and create opportunities for people to move forward.

“Two young men we know from the Laventille area… a couple years ago were off air, even in the music, but they are sitting here today, on the same chair, with the same vision,” Alexander said.

“Let’s bring an end to this war in Laventille, Sealots, Beetham, Maloney, different environments. Let’s stop it, let’s bring a complete end to that.”

Maharaj also welcomed the development, linking the initiative to broader government programmes aimed at giving people opportunities for rehabilitation and a second chance.

He pointed to the recently passed Parole Act, which provides for eligible prisoners to be released early under conditions related to rehabilitation.

The Justice Minister also highlighted the establishment of the Dissuasion Commission, which is intended to deal with certain pre-trial matters and minor offences outside the traditional court process, with participants able to undergo rehabilitation and potentially avoid acquiring a criminal record.

Maharaj said the government was also pursuing initiatives aimed at steering young people away from gang life, including programmes focused on entrepreneurship and creating opportunities for young people with business ideas.

Fans of both artiste will see them live on stage in Port of Spain at the Summer Stage: The Festival on August 22.

Leave a Reply

Designed with WordPress

Discover more from Caribbean Pulse

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading